Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Great Book Alert: Monster Blood Tatto by D. M. Cornish

I’m reading D. M. Cornish’s FOUNDLING: Monster Blood Tattoo 2. If you haven’t read the first book, I highly recommend it as terrific, original fantasy akin to another one of my favorites, SABRIEL, in terms of uniqueness and just how much I loved it. (Hm. Both are Australian authors . . .)

The second book is equally good. One of the things this book did for me as a writer is remind me how much I adore detailed world building, how passionately I respond to that as a reader, which in turn reminded me that is one of my passions as a writer, which in turn tilted how I was viewing the writing of Theo Four on it’s head and helped me crack that story egg.

Which is why I think all writers are readers first, and there is no better teacher of craft than excellent writers we love to read.

0 comments: