Thursday, July 09, 2009

Dinner in Twenty: Grilled Chicken Sandwiches

I don't know about you, but grilled chicken is my best friend. It's quick, easy, and since I grill it outside, it doesn't heat up the kitchen on hot summer evenings. However, since I do rely on it a lot, the others in the family sometimes get a wee bit tired of it. In an effort to try something new, yet equally easy, we came up with these grilled chicken sandwiches. The secret here is to buy the thin sliced chicken breasts. They have been sliced thin so cook in 10-15 minutes and are perfect sized portions.

Basic Grilled Chicken Sandwiches

1 package thin sliced, boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Italian dressing for marinade (I use Bernstein's Italian)
Santa Maria Seasoning (I swear by this stuff, and I use it for everything!)
1 package hamburger rolls, lightly toasted or warmed
lettuce, mayonnaise

Put chicken breasts in marinade for 5-10 minutes while the grill heats up. Sprinkle with Santa Maria Seasoning, then grill for 10-12 minutes until cooked through.
Spread heated hamburger rolls with mayo, then add chicken breasts and lettuce. Makes five sandwiches. (If the chicken is on sale, I grill two packages of chicken breasts and have the sandwiches two nights in a row. VERY easy.)

Slightly Fancier Grilled Chicken Sandwiches

1 package thin sliced, boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Italian dressing for marinade
Santa Maria Seasoning
5 slices cheese (swiss, muenster, havarti)
Instead of hamburger rolls, use ciabatta bread or rolls
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 tsp dried basil
cucumber slices
thinly sliced red pepper strips

Prepare chicken as above.
Heat rolls.
Place slice of cheese on top half of rolls, then return to toaster oven to melt.
Mix 1/4 c mayo with 1/4 tsp dried basil and spread on bottom half of ciabatta rolls.
Place grilled chicken on top of mayo, add slices of cucumber and red pepper. Place top half of roll with melted cheese on top.
Makes five sandwiches.

2 comments:

THALIA CHALTAS said...

Hey, I grilled chicken last night! Marinated in italian dressing and seasoned salt! Okay, wait, it was Greek dressing, since i made it myself. And I am going to make a sandwich with the leftovers instead of just stuffing a hunk o chicken in my mouth as usual.

Isn't it strange that I respond to the food post, instead of the arc post, which is what I was just writing a workshop blurb on...thanks for the recipes!

Robin L said...

Hey you! Great minds, and all that...and I'm telling you, I swear by the basil mayo and cucumber and red pepper. Di-vIne...