Monday, August 16, 2010

Quick Check In

Yes, I am still completely consumed, possessed by, and obsessed with The Manuscript That Will Not End. Actually, that's almost a lie. I did limp and stutter my way across the finish line, but there were huge bald patches so it didn't really feel like The End. And before I could write the REAL ending, I had to go back and do a sweeping polish/revision to get everything lined up right and give my subconscious time to figure things out. Two steps forward, one step back.

But dear God, this is one LONG manuscript. I would despair--did despair--but my agent talked me down from the ledge. I fear it will clock in at around 140M words, which is way, way too long.

Usually.

I am hoping I will be able to pare it down to 120M words, which is still too long, but I can live with that. Hey, it's an epic. They're supposed to be long.

In other news, if you are a teacher or librarian and you haven't checked out Kay Cassidy's Great Scavenger Hunt Contest for libraries and their kid readers, hie thee over to this website and check it out. It is an aMaZinG resource for librarians. She just sent me an email reminding me that the scavenger hunt for Theodosia and the Eyes of Horus was now available and I realized I hadn't mentioned it here on my blog. It is a really, really great service she is providing.

And that's about it for now! I'll be back once Finish The Book Fever has relaxed it death hold on me!

4 comments:

Mel said...

Being consumed is a good thing, even if it feels like it's not.
Thanks for the links.

Sarah Stevenson said...

Finish the Book Fever is not entirely a bad thing...especially if you can eke out the time to get it done! :) I often end up with some variant of Finish the Book Fever but no time to follow through.

Quirkywriter said...

I love how you write about the non-glamourous parts of writing. Well, are there really any glamourous parts? But the daily stuff is so encouraging to me as I stagger around my plot and try to get through draft #1--knowing well what work comes after that. Onward!
And may your muse rain down glories.

dixie said...

When you're on a ledge, it's better to start with two steps back before you take one step forward.